Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hobo



Hobo was a neighborhood cat that Leah adopted. He was feral when she found him, but once she found his "skitchel" spot, he tamed right down. She ran him by the vet and they tested him and found he had FIV (kitty AIDS) and he was ready to put him down, but Leah refused to let him do it. Hobo had lost his fangs at some point so she doubted he'd pass it on to the other cats. He wound up with diabetes and was VERY insulin resistant. Leah had to shoot him twice a day. One day she asked me whether I knew where he was. I didn't, but I knew what would bring him running. I reached over and started the electric can opener and out he ran. My friend used to say that he reminded her of the song "The Boxer" by Paul Simon because you could see every fight he'd ever been in. At one point, he got a gash in his neck and the vet sewed it up. When they took out the stitches after 2 weeks, his neck unzipped and they had to sew him up again for 8 weeks (the FIV made him heal slowly) He finally died of kidney failure, but he had one Hell of a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment